Old January 13th 05, 06:14 AM
Roy Lewallen

Ah, c'mon. Reg says 7 dB isn't enough to worry about. "Kurt Sterba" said
that even 15 dB isn't. All the people who think that linears and beams
help their signals are just imagining things. The real experts say so.
You're not going to listen to the old wives, are you?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
-- One of Reg's "Old Wives"

Caveat Lector wrote:
I would like to put a different spin on the 7dB statement below.

Where the extra gain or power really comes into play is very weak signal
DXing - not the pileups necessarily.

Cases in point - my Dxing log has several contacts where using a linear got
my signal far enough above the noise level for the DX station to understand
me. True on phone or CW. In most of these cases, the DX was calling QRZ and
no one was answering -- the DX station was so weak -- seems folks just gave
up or maybe everyone worked them. Turning on the linear got me the
contacts. Definitely Without Question - Worked an R1MV Malyj Vysotskij, HK0
Malpelo Is, VK9/M Mellish Reef, and VP8/G So Georgia by turning on the
linear feeding a vertical multibander.

I had this happen enough times to realize this to be the real benefit of
adding a linear. And it sure can't hurt in a pileup either, if you know how
to work a pileup.