Old January 13th 05, 06:25 AM
Roy Lewallen

The fact that superconductors have zero resistance above DC isn't a
limitation of today's technology (although technology limitations cause
current high-temperature superconductors to have resistivity greater
than theoretically possible), but a fundamental property of the nature
of superconductors.

What I'm saying is that a "truly superconducting", "hypothetical
perfect" superconductor has finite resistance at any frequeny above DC.
Imagining a material that has zero resistivity at frequencies above DC
requires imagining something other than a superconductor.

Roy Lewallen, w7EL

Dave Platt wrote:
. . .
Let's assume that you could find a superconductor which would be
truly superconducting even at RF frequencies (which today's
superconductors are not, I gather). So, you could cut the loss
resistance of the antenna to precisely zero, in this hypothetical
case.

. . .
Using the hypothetical perfect superconductor (which may be
impossible) you might reduce this dipole resistance to zero. Great
reduction in loss, right?
. . .