Old January 4th 04, 08:34 PM
Volker Kerkhoff

Reg Edwards wrote:
What do you think is the best equipment to start out as a ham?

Start at the begining.

Get yourself a 200-feet reel of 18 awg enamelled copper wire, an empty
toilet roll tube, a 500 pF variable capacitor, a germanium diode, a 470 pF
capacitor, a pair of 4000-ohm headphones, a used 3-hole razor blade, and a
dozen miniature alligator clips.

You will never regret it!

That's a hell of a cool answer! Not only to a 10-Year-old, but also to
an adult interested in the radio hobby. It really pays to get to know
the basics and to spend some time on it.

I actually got into radio when my dad was doing SWL, but what really got
me was when my uncle brought me a kit to build myself an AM receiver
thet would work without a battery, and then expained to me how the thing
worked. After that i've been through various stages of the radio hobby,
SWL, Utility, Scanners, on and off through the years and seasons, and
now I'll be going for my "B" license. Wish me sucess, I've only a couple
months to learn before the exam, but my idea is to get the "B" (VHF/UHF)
license first, and then go for the "C" (HF Restricted) in summer with a
bit more of time.