Old January 16th 05, 04:35 AM
Hal Rosser

"mw" wrote in message
Hi all,
newbie question here...sorry if its covered elsewhere. My radio has a
clip terminal for an ext. antenna, and wants to see 500 ohms. I want to
put a transformer at the longwire for the coax feeder to show it 50 ohms
for the trip into the house...will it work if I put another transformer
in the house to get it back to hi-z?
The transformers will be home made ferrite coil jobs as described in
John Bryants excellent article.
TIA
mike

Just hook the longwire to the radio directly at first.
Then run a ground wire to the [gnd] terminal.
(assuming its receive only).
You can also play around with an antenna tuner too - pick one up at a
hamfest for a few bucks.
But its also fun to play with xfrmrs too! You didn't mention the freq you're
listening to or how long the wire was, so you don't really know the
antenna's impedence, so an antenna tuner looks better and better.
Have fun!