Old January 22nd 17, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Kasupski[_4_] John Kasupski[_4_] is offline

Default Disappearance of Short Wave Time Signals at 5, 10, 15, 20kHz

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 17:14:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:

So increased RFI is only part of the issue: Shortwave time
transmissions reach only the western 2/3 of the lower 48 states!

I think this has just been another sign of poor band conditions. It's been a
while since I've heard WWV reliably here too, but the solar flux during that
time has been in the 70's. Now that it's sitting at 86 the past two days:

1335z (8:35 AM local) : WWV at S-9 on 5 MHz, S-7 on 10 MHz, and S-5 on 15 MHz,
although with frequent QSB into the noise level on all three freqs.

That's on my backup receiver (DX-394 with 30 feet of wire outside eight feet
above the ground). I've got the dipole for my TS-450 taken down for maintenance
right now or I'd probably have it at S-9 +40dB or better right now using that.

John, W2PIO
Niagara Falls, NY