Old January 29th 17, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
analogdial analogdial is offline

Default Is there much on shortwave anymore?

Outside of radio preachers, there's not nearly as much interesting as
thier used to be. Radio Australia just quit SW broadcasting. Most of
the k00k broadcasters have died or gone to the internet. Alex Jones and
Rick Wiles are still holding the fort.

There's still some International broadcasting to the third world, such
as the VOA and the BBC and it can usually can be heard in the US.

China is easily heard now in the US, they are buying time on Harold
Camping's old SW farm in Florida. No more "Yankee Imperialist Hegomony"
from Peking, but still more interesting the Harold Camping Drone.

Long distance AM listening can still be fun, as long as your location
isn't plagued with electrical noise. Loop antennas help.

There's probably more pirate activity than ever, but it still isn't
alot. Check out just below the 40 meter ham band. Weekends and
holidays are best.

I still really like working on the radios. Usually. Currently I have a
Hallicrafters SX-62 on the table. It was poorly stored and I'll
probably end up rewinding 4 or 5 SW coils. Sheesh. Listened to an AM
station which plays 60s insturmental oldies on Sunday morning. Tuned
the dial to 1240 before it warmed up and it was spot on. Sounded great
on AM wideband. I like that!