Old February 10th 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
George Cornelius George Cornelius is offline

Default Is there much on shortwave anymore?

In article , Joe from Kokomo writes:
Don't forget the isolation transformer on the S-41.

I suppose the way to think about it is this: if a tube set needs an
isolation tranformer when you work on it then it's low end, just
a beefed up version of the "All American Five", and if you're a
serious shortwave listener you'll soon want something better.

Nowadays, though, any tube set that works is a good one. I
still turn on the 1960's RCA 5-tube set in my garage from time
to time. As far as I know it has never required work, although
I may not have remembered it if I had had to replace a power
supply cap or two at some point. Of course the RCA brand still
meant decent quality in that era.

George

P.S. Regarding shortwave listening, don't forget the Dutch
software defined radio site (utwente?) - assuming they are
still operating. DC to daylight - or at least up toe 30Mhz
or so - an oh what a bandspread display!