Old February 25th 17, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WWV will be OFF the AIR .

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017, John Kasupski wrote:

I can remember when someone could post a radio-related question here and receive
a useful answer in a reasonably short time from one or more of the many people
here who were actually knowledgeable about shortwave radio.

Now, sadlly, there is instead a bunch of nitwits who seem to think someone may
have somehow gotten hold of five cruise missiles and plans to launch one at each
antenna site for the five WWV transmitters (one for each frequency) using the
coordinates given in the newsgroup as targeting data. Pathetic!

WWV antenna coordinates (WGS84):

2.5 MHz - 40°40'55.0 N, 105°02'33.6 W
5 MHz - 40°40'41.9 N, 105°02'27.2 W
10 MHz - 40°40'47.7 N, 105°02'27.4 W
15 MHz - 40°40'44.8 N, 105°02'26.9 W
20 MHz - 40°40'52.8 N, 105°02'30.9 W

This information appears in NIST Special Publication 250-67, which was released
in 2005 and has complete info on WWV as well as on WWVH and WWVB - including
site maps and photographs. It can be freely downloaded in Portable Document
Format (PDF) from the following URL:

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/1969.pdf

My apologies to the OP for not posting this sooner. I honestly thought somebody
else would have finally gotten around to doing so by now, but apparently there's
an unfortunate lack of well-versed real radio hobbyists around here these days.

But 25MHz is back, a few years ago someone did some figuring and decided
it could be done without any real cost increase, and they resurrected it
as a test, and then kept on going.

Michael