Old December 19th 15, 05:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected] nobody@nowhere.com is offline

Default [KB6NU] If there are so many hams and so many radios, why are the repeaters so quiet?

In article writes:

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

If there are so many hams and so many radios, why are the repeaters so
quiet?

One theory is that these hams are interested only in emergency communications
and are not actually getting on the air.

Another I might suggest is that these radios are a pain to program, and
it is not easy for folks to find active repeaters, so they don't get on.

In the 80's, folks were on repeaters a lot. Most are still around, but
the repeaters have all bit the big CTCSS limitations imposed by the freq.
coordinators. It may allow more repeaters, and cut some interference, but
you can no longer tune the dial across the band, hear a QSO, and join in.
I think this is a *BIG* factor.

Also, many got their radios to use autopatches, wanting the repeater
committee to install autopatches a lot. Now, cellphones are common and
a lot cheaper. Next to nobody uses autopatches anymore.

So, while I don't moan over the loss of autopatches, I think CTCSS
did a big part of killing VHF/UHF FM repeater activity.

Alan