Old January 16th 05, 06:05 AM
gb

"jrd" wrote in message
Hi, I have a device that requires 12vac but need to use 12vdc as a source.
Is this possible? I see all kinds of 12vdc inverters around but they all
provide 120\240 vac
Been looking high and low and can't find a power supply or inverter on the
market that will do what i'm looking for. Starting to think its not
possible. I guess something like a variac off the power inverter might
drop the voltage down from 120vac to 12vac but thought there must be some
other way. Also tried looking for a "variable" dc to ac inverter but they
dont seem to exist either. I need under 1 amp on the 12vac.
thanks

Unless you are in a car or mobile (and a battery is your only power source),
a standard filament transformer (120 VAC to 12.6 VAC) will do the trick
(available at Radio Shack). There are also inexpensive wall-warts (new and
surplus) that actually supply 12 VAC to SOME devices, although a majority
are 12 VDC

gb