Old March 21st 16, 03:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Rob[_8_] Rob[_8_] is offline

Default [KE9V] Looking thru Windows

Phil Kane wrote:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 12:31:26 EDT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I ordered a Dell XPS 13 laptop last week and it arrived a few days ago. I
had selected a configuration with an i5 processor, 8Gb of memory, and
256Gb of solid state storage.

Best of luck on getting the Win 10 computer to work with the ham programs.
It might get beter, but I have not had much luck getting several of the ham
programs to work with win10. and some would work if I did certain things to
get them going.

The ham computer I use is a Dell running XP. Many of the older ham
programs I have will not run on the 64 bit systems.

I run my ham programs on a Dell E-series laptop that came with Win
7-64. No problem. I foolishly "upgraded" it to Win 10. Bad move. I
couldn't stand the interface, and when I investigated further I was
appalled at the Microsoft "we know what you need" and the "we send
your data to us" built into the version. So after a bit of anguish I
back-leveled it to Win 7 - easy to do if it's within 30 days of the
"upgrade" but not difficult if one has access to a genuine
reinstallation disk.

And to repeat - my ham radio programs run really well, some in 32-bit
mode, on the 64-bit computer.

There are probably way more programs that do run on XP and not on
either Windows 7 or Windows 10, than there are programs that do run
well on Windows 7 but not on Windows 10.

But always remember that you are not forced to run Windows, you can always
choose something else, like Linux. It will come with the same update
nightmares (things that worked fine before are broken when you install a
new version, because someone chose to change things without point), but
at least it will not be a data collection device for a large corporation.