Old April 18th 16, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.radio.amateur.moderated
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Time and Frequency References

In article , rickman
wrote:

How important are time and frequency references to amateur radio
operators? I've been working on a radio controlled clock design that
would be capable of generating a 32.768 kHz, 60 kHz, 240 kHz, 1 MHz and
10 MHz frequency references in addition to providing the time and date.
Initially it would be capable of receiving the 60 kHz transmissions of
WWVB and MSF. With minor tweaks other stations could be received.

Would this be useful to others?

Rick-

Anyone who would use your frequency reference might be interested if it
is less expensive than other methods. I believe GPS-trained references
are available. I have a rubidium-controlled oscillator I bought on
E-Bay.

For routine Ham Radio use, I depend on 20 MHz WWV to periodically check
the calibration of my transceivers. By switching between CW and CW-R, I
can adjust the equipment so the CW pitch is the same for both. I am
confident that I can adjust a radio so it is within one Hz at 20 MHz.

That puts me within 0.05 parts per million, at least at the moment I
make the adjustment. I expect the equipment to drift over time and
temperature.

Most Amateur Radio Operators do not worry that much about frequency.
Some of the people I talk to on higher frequencies, drift over a few
minutes time. Nobody seems to care!

Fred
K4DII