Old April 19th 16, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.radio.amateur.moderated
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Time and Frequency References

In article ,
says...

Anyone who would use your frequency reference might be interested if it
is less expensive than other methods. I believe GPS-trained references
are available. I have a rubidium-controlled oscillator I bought on
E-Bay.

For routine Ham Radio use, I depend on 20 MHz WWV to periodically check
the calibration of my transceivers. By switching between CW and CW-R, I
can adjust the equipment so the CW pitch is the same for both. I am
confident that I can adjust a radio so it is within one Hz at 20 MHz.

That puts me within 0.05 parts per million, at least at the moment I
make the adjustment. I expect the equipment to drift over time and
temperature.

Most Amateur Radio Operators do not worry that much about frequency.
Some of the people I talk to on higher frequencies, drift over a few
minutes time. Nobody seems to care!

I just got caled out 2 nights ago for being off frequency by 50 HZ on 10
meters. Was using an Icom 706IIG.

I don't worry about things like that. As long as I am in the band and
not drifting all over the place is good enough for me. I could
calibrate it using one of the service monitors I have. Not sure how far
they are off, but they count to the last cycle of WWV at 20 MHz and will
sometimes blink to 19.99 and all 9s.

Friend that I talk to about every day usually jumps around 50 to 100 Hz
on 75 meters with a Collins and an old Yeasu.
I don't worry about that, just rit him in.

I think a low cost GPS or one of the Atomic standards would be the way
to go if the price could be low enough.