Old April 26th 16, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Michael Coslo[_2_] Michael Coslo[_2_] is offline

Default [N6PSE] The P5DX Story.

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 5:44:35 PM UTC-4, N6PSE via rec.radio.amateur
..moderated Admin wrote:

What we did not have was the support of those we asked to remain quiet, n

or
the support of anyone we asked for help with funding. This could ha

ve
been a DXpedition for the record books.
But now we will never know.
What do you think?

A project that requires complete secrecy is going to be tough to pull off.
In most cases, there is pre-expedition buzz, and this was no exception.

As well, I suspect that some institutions being asked to provide financing
to a country like North Korea, my be a little fearful of getting themselves
involved in an international incident. I wouldn't be part of that, I know.

As well, needing legal counsel to avoid committing a crime in the "fees" po
rtion of the effort, is a bit of a scary prospect. Sending money through a
third country is a huge red flag.

Using your own retirement monies to fund a DXpedition just makes it a bridg
e too far.

Given the hoops needed to jump through, the impossible requests of total se
crecy, the third party "fees" and the rather unpredictable nature of the c
ountry, I think that a DXpedition being cancelled might just be a blessing
in disguise. No one is in a DPRK prison at any rate.