Old January 13th 05, 06:21 AM
Bob Bob

Know why didnt I think of that? grin I had never ever heard of DAMA
but it seems so simple. Of course it would rely on everyone using the
same system!

We use to have a ROSE "backbone" all using the one frequency over 3-4
hops. It worked okay if a BBS at one end was forwarding to one at the
other end but if any users wanted to jump in the whole lot came to a
screaming halt.

I'll have to check if the Linux AX25 implementation has DAMA available..
Cant imagine I'll get back into packet until I move though. Have you by
any chance come accross any webpages that cover East Texas? I have seen
bits of the Arkansas network and around Austin but not up around
Longview/Tyler.

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Charles Brabham wrote:
Howdy, Bob!

"Bob Bob" wrote in message

Hi Charles..

Some comments on your article.

- Using a voice repeater is in a sense like using a bit regenerative
device albeit with no intelligence. The great thing about it is that it
avoid the hidden transmitter problem as repeaters are often built in high
places. Straight digi's or popular nodes on top of hills get messed up
really quickly when one station cant hear another and transmits on top of
them. We use to have a system in NSW that was continually getting into
packet crash problems because it was badly designed. With one user at each
end of the circuit it was great but anymore than that and it was an abject
failure.

That sounds like a job for DAMA, which gets you past the dubious idea of
having all Packet ops at high power in the forlorn hope that they will all
be able to hear each other.