Old June 13th 16, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc
N6PSE via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin N6PSE via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin is offline

Default [N6PSE] If you have P5, take a QRX

n6pse

If you have P5, take a QRX

https://n6pse.wordpress.com/2016/06/...p5-take-a-qrx/

3Z9DX, Dom has announced that he will soon return to the DPRK and operate
for five days, SSB on one band. That is wonderful news, particularly for
all those amateurs still seeking their first P5 contact. I am particularly
glad to hear this news as my own P5 folly is now over.

I was fortunate to work P5/3Z9DX last December when Dom first came up on 15
meters SSB. I saw him spotted on the DX Cluster and tuned over and sure
enough, there he was. He was simplex and I was competing with many big gun
West Coast stations. It was frustrating to me that many guys in that pileup
were Top of the Honor Roll members and did not need a P5 contact for their
very first time. They were either seeking their annual CQ Marathon point,
or as many DXers do, just flexing their muscles and showing what they could
accomplish behind the microphone. I feel bad for any operator in that
pileup that did not get through because some guy just wanted another P5
contact to add to his collection. There are some aspects of this hobby that
I dont like and the piggish nature of some is one of those aspects.

I would like to suggest that when P5/3Z9DX comes up on the air in the next
few days, those of us that now have P5 confirmed ought to QRX and give
other guys a chance. This would be a noble gesture and more kindness is
sorely needed in this hobby. I for one will not be calling P5/3Z9DX. I am
making my station available to any W6 hams that want to come over and give
him a call and I encourage others to do the same.

What do you think?