Old September 2nd 16, 12:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Patty Winter Patty Winter is offline

Default Ham Radio Cameo in AMC's "Halt and Catch Fire"

In article ,
Paul W. Schleck wrote:

The third episode of the third season of this AMC series about a
fictionalized account of the birth and evolution of the personal
computer industry was on this week.

Someone mentioned this to me so I watched the episode yesterday.

The depiction was reasonably accurate, but had some rough edges:

As always. It was okay, though.

- The callsign, KC4L, is not currently assigned.

The FCC database says it is:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...?licKey=429633

I can't find any information that would link that person to the show.

Usually when ham
radio is depicted in popular entertainment, the callsign is
fictitious (not in a standard sequence, like the TV show "Last Man
Standing" where it was X-suffixed, KA0XTT, like an experimental
station)

By the way, now that fall-season shows are back in production, the "Last
Man Standing" Amateur Radio Club is running KA6LMS late afternoons on
Tuesdays, Pacific Time. They use the ham station shown in the series.

- As noted above, he's operating out of his hallway closet. Never seen
a ham do that. Maybe a basement, garage (Gordon had a big one in
Texas where he homebrewed computers), or even a car or motorhome, but
never a closet.

I don't watch the series, but from this episode, I gathered that the
couple had just moved and/or acquired a boarder, so that was the only
place he could set up the radio.

Patty