Old September 2nd 16, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx
Patty Winter Patty Winter is offline

Default Ham Radio Cameo in AMC's "Halt and Catch Fire"

In article ,
Paul W. Schleck wrote:

In Patty Winter writes:

The FCC database says it is:

Thanks for catching that, Patty. I used a secondary source, QRZ, which
gives a cryptic, "This call sign record is unmanaged. No additional
information is available." if you're not logged in. Log in, and you can
see the holder.

I often see people referring to doing a "QRZ.com lookup," and that site
is indeed handy if you want to see what additional information people
have provided about themselves (shack photos, etc.), but for simple
callsign lookups, I use the same site I've used for decades--now available
on the World Wide Web, of course:

http://callsign.ualr.edu/callsign.shtml

Also still available via telnet:

telnet://callsign.ualr.edu:2000

It's a great site because you can search not only by callsign (or
partial callsign if you don't know the whole thing), but also by
name/partial name, ZIP code, etc. Much more flexible than either
the QRZ or FCC front ends to the FCC database.

The link I posted yesterday was to the FCC database, but my initial
search when I watched the show a couple of days ago was on UALR. I
use that site very frequently; in fact, I keep a tab open with it.

Patty