Old October 4th 16, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
[email protected] nobody@nowhere.com is offline

Default [KE9V] Test Free Licensing

In article (KE9V via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin) writes:
I frequently complain about these puppy mills and am just as frequently
rebuffed by those who run them. Im told that no amount of study and testing
can create a radio amateur only hand-on experience can do that so the
notion is to get them licensed as quickly as possible and let nature run
its course.

And you know what? I agree with them. But that sort of begs the question,
then why dont we do away with license testing altogether? If these tests
are merely speed bumps to the entry of the hobby, lets dump them.

Am I wrong? Sound off in the comments below.

You are wrong. Listening on the bands we hear some of the problems
with the fast no-knowledge licensing. Partly, it is the vast silence
on many repeaters, partly it is the clueless nature of the folks who
are on the air and posting questions online that shows they have not
been getting advice from more experienced and knowledgable hams.

I am referring to two major problems: One is the lack of elmering in
the training process. New hams now get their license from the database
and don't get guidance from more experienced hams. Some of them get
their license, get a HT which goes in their emergency kit, and that is
the end of it.

The second is that the exams are getting easier - partly because the
questions are easier, and partly because the answers are published for
quick memorization. The technician license exam is now much more like
the novice license exam of years past.

We frequently see examples online, of people posting questions that
make one wonder if they even studied for a 4 hour cram course.

The answer is not eliminating testing. If anything, we should make
it more difficult, forcing the student into a longer learning process
with better retention of the material, and the chance for elmering and
advice from experienced hams.

I would, however, be in favor of reducing VE testing fees. The cost
of producing a printed exam should be a lot lower in these times where
VE goups have computers available, and filing the results online has
saved other costs. But reduction in testing costs doesn't seem to have
resulted in a reduction of VEC test fees.

Alan