Old January 11th 05, 06:57 PM
Mike Andrews

Joshua G Senecal wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Mike Andrews wrote:

My XYL passed her Tech exam last Saturday, and I passed the General.

Congratulations to you both!

We're looking for a pair of good, inexpensive, reliable 2m or 2m/70cm
HT. To us, "inexpensive" is in the under-$150 range.

Are you looking for something new?

Personally, what I would do is get a catalog from someplace like AES or
Ham Radio Outlet, and see what's available at your specified price. Then
go to eham.net and check reviews on each of these HTs to get an idea of
how other hams feel about them.

For the record, I use a Yaesu VX-5R. It's outside of your specified
budget, but it has served me well over the past few years and I've no
complaints about it.

That's pretty much what we've been doing, along with watching eBay
and talking with local hams about their gear.

New would be nice, but the budget is the major driver here.

The Yaesu VX-5R has been recommended -- and praised -- by a number of
the folks with whom I've talked or swapped mail.

I get Monday off; we may drive down to Texas Towers and see what they
have to offer, too.

Thanks for the help, and 73s.

--
Mike Andrews, KE5DMQ