Old January 11th 05, 11:54 PM
Gary S.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:57:30 +0000 (UTC), (Mike
Andrews) wrote:

Joshua G Senecal wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Mike Andrews wrote:

My XYL passed her Tech exam last Saturday, and I passed the General.

Congratulations to you both!

We're looking for a pair of good, inexpensive, reliable 2m or 2m/70cm
HT. To us, "inexpensive" is in the under-$150 range.

For a 2M only rig, the Yaesu VX-150 is in the $110-120 range regular
retail. Occasional sales take it down to about $100, but I have not
been following the price in detail.

Well thought of, rugged, 5W output. Very easy on the power
requirements while standing by or receiving. Very clean sound and
crisp reception.

I would recommend upgrading the stock antenna, getting the AA cell
battery pack, and getting the RT Systems programming software and
cable for it. A few other accessories may be helpful, such as a
speaker mike and a carry case.

It is my primary HT for 2M for hiking and public service events, and I
know a number of others quite happy with it.

The biggest grip about it is that there is no dual band version. If
they made one, they would instantly sell a bunch of them.

If you want dual band in that price range, it is going to be used.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA