Old January 5th 05, 12:14 PM
Airy R. Bean

Default Making our own valves (Tubes for the Non-English-Speaking Yanks)

As time passes, valves of the sort and size that we use in our TX's
are becoming increasingly rare and expensive.

There is nearly a century of folklore and industrial craft in producing
valves and overcoming problems thereto, and it seems to me that now is the
time to gather together this expertise before all the associated craftsmen
and industrialists go to the grave and their knowledge becomes lost
forever.

Armed with such a body of knowledge, could we Radio Hams, as a body of
technically-motivated and technically-inspired aficionados, then consider
manufacturing our own?

Is it not, after all, our pride in such technical activity that sets us
apart from
the CBer who buys all his gear from a shop (and even sends it back their
if ever it needs repair)?