Old May 17th 17, 07:19 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim GM4DHJ ...[_3_] Jim GM4DHJ ...[_3_] is offline

Default The Pixie, cont'd

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
In article ,
Gareth's Downstairs Computer
wrote:

I suggest two inductively loaded mobile whips
back to back as a dipole.

I've gone a step further and fixed an electrical box as a multi-band
antenna in my attic. It was from a magazine article a few years ago.
Four pairs of mobile whips are mounted on the box, which has eight
surfaces around its periphery. All dipoles are connected in parallel to
a single feed line.

I used 80, 40, 20 and 15 Meter whips. Later, I changed the ground side
of the 20 Meter whip to a hustler with the multi-resonator adapter,
using both 20 and 10 Meter resonators. A short modified CB whip was
added to the top surface of the electrical box to provide a vertical 10
Meter radiator.

Such an antenna does not work very well compared to full-size dipoles,
but it gets you on the air. I'm not running a "Pixie" transmitter, but
a 100 Watt rig. I think a Pixie would still make contacts, but may be
frustrating for a beginner. Especially with the recent poor band
conditions.

Fred
K4DII

a magmount on a biscuit tin used to be the antenna of choice for pirates....