Old January 13th 05, 08:59 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Len Over 21 wrote:

2. There is a metallic film sandwiched between the plastic.

Not really. You can read all about it in free downloads from
the Philips people who developed the recording system.

If it were really conductive, you could measure it directly with
a simple Ohmmeter. [not exactly rocket science, old boy]

6. Is the plastic of a suitable quality? Will it arc-through?

Do you have the smarts to use a power supply to rig up a test to
prove this for everyone? Or is everything you have tied up in the
proposed vacuum-valve production line you've talked about?

An interesting experiment can be performed by placing a CD on top of a
mug filled with water, in an ordinary kitchen microwave, and then
nuking it for about 10 seconds. The resulting "light show" is most
impressive, but also lets out one heck of a stink.

The vaccum-deposited aluminum layer burns up very quickly, and the
spin-coated lacquer on top of it is also damaged quite easily.

The result makes me quite pessimistic that the aluminumization is
robust enough to allow a CD to be used as part of a variable-plate
capacitor in a transmatch, except perhaps at QRP levels.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO