Old July 2nd 17, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
George Cornelius George Cornelius is offline

Default Gulf War I [was: My first kill[...]]

(George Cornelius) writes:

[...]

And I haven't had a general coverage receive in years.

Well there's that Sangean I bought at Henry Radio many
moons ago. Not sure if it even works any more. Back
in the day when your transistor sister held a "six" up
to her ear to listen to rock music I suppose this would
look to be maybe a "ten".

A baby. But not really very good, at least with only
that little whip antenna.

In Minnesota's Boundary Waters Canoe Area in the Bush
I days, decided on a lazy afternoon to dip into the
tent and pull out the Sangean. Right about the
same time, one of the others, a colonel in the Air
Force Reserves, was beginning to notice the
contrails heading to the north or northeast that
seemed to be so odd over a national wilderness
area.

'Twas the beginning of the buildup for the first
Gulf War, and we might not have known about it
if it weren't for the shortwave.

And, yes, our colonel, in charge of some medical unit
or other, was called up. Not sure if they went to
the gulf or just filled in stateside for the ones
who were actually mobilized.

Or an "r".

Too bad I kilfiled all the pirates. They would have
plenty.

George

Michael