Old July 11th 17, 11:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Gareth's Downstairs Computer Gareth's Downstairs Computer is offline

Default Dreaming on for a few more years about the RX :-)

Reposted here, because of a limit on crossposting by E-S,
but nevertheless germane to these two NGs...

On 11/07/2017 11:50, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Taking my cue from bandswitching in other designs,
and being motivated by the catacomb in the HRO
NC100X, I wonder if any have encountered bandswitching
by cam driven microswitches?

I presume that the contacts in microswitches must be
similar to those in small relays, and, being mechanical,
would not be subject to electrical failure.

What I envisage is that the most HF coils would be
mormally switched in by the microswitch closest
to the tuning cap, and then when the big cam (Big K? :-) )
slides along to activate that microswitch, the
next lower frequency coil takes over, and so on
and so forth.

Having had one failure by dropping the catacomb
mechanism on one corner, I'm sort of losing heart
at the prospect of making up 50 sliding contacts.