Old July 11th 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Magnetic receiving loop theory

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 07:35:35 -0400, Pat wrote:

Sounds good. As an aside, I just watched a youtube video of someone
trying out one of these magnetic loop antennas. With his particular
set of circumstances, it reduced the noise floor on 80 meters
significantly.

Compared to what other antenna? He probably reduced the received
signal strength by the same amount leaving the SNR unchanged. That's
why I included a link to the PA0RDT mini-antenna, which explains why
such a small antenna works:
http://dl1dbc.net/SAQ/miniwhip.html
A loop works much the same way. One way to benefit from a small
antenna is to do something to improve the SNR, which the loop does by
narrowing the RX bandwidth, as I explained in a previous rant.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D