Old July 17th 17, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
VK5PAS via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin VK5PAS via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin is offline

Default [VK5PAS] Totness Recreation Park and the 2017 Trans Tasman Contest

vk5pas

Totness Recreation Park and the 2017 Trans Tasman Contest

https://vk5pas.org/2017/07/16/totnes...asman-contest/

After activating the Finniss Conservation Park I headed to the Totness
Recreation Park VKFF-1754, just 2.5 km from home. Â*I intended to take part
in the 2017 Trans Taman Low Band Contest. Â*The aim of the contest is to
encourage Low Band activity Trans-Tasman, that is between VK and ZL.
Map showing the location of the Totness Recreation Park. Â*Map courtesy of
Location SA Map Viewer

I was all set up and ready to go by the commencement time of 0800 UTC,
which is 5.30 p.m. South Australian local time. Â*I ran my normal portable
station for the contest: Yaesu FT-857d, 40 watts, and the 80/40/20m linked
dipole, inverted vee, on the 7m heavy duty telescopic squid pole.

The contest is divided into three 2 hour periods. Â*I remained out in the
field until just after the commencement of the third period which was at
1200 UTC (9.30 p.m. local time). Â*The cold weather got the better of me
(got down to 4 deg C) and I packed up and headed home with a total of 171
contacts in the log. Â*My claimed score was 2,347 points.

I made a total of 48 QSOs on the 40m band. Â*New Zealand stations worked on
40m we- ZL1YE, ZL3VZ, ZL1PC, ZL2ATH/p, ZL2BH, and ZL1JV.

I made a total of 123 QSOs on the 80m band. Â*New Zealand stations worked on
40m we- ZL3VZ, ZL1PC, ZL2BH, ZL1JV, and ZL1XS.

I enjoyed myself in the Trans Tasman, but there were long periods of
calling CQ contest with no takers.