Old December 13th 03, 04:31 PM
Carmen

Hello,
Dit Dit Dah wrote:
What has the ARRL done for me?
Nothing! Nothing at all!

Have you availed yourself of the things the ARRL has to offer? How
about the EmComm courses? While my buddies and I did it the
old-fashioned way (online mentors, etc.) it's possible to purchase the
course material and take the tests via a local EC team. We're a small
group, but 60% of us have completed all three levels and considered it
valuable enough training that we got certified to give the exams
ourselves. It's amazing how few of us there are out there. TN has 29
total people qualified, and we've got 4 of them. More people need to
take these courses and get certified to help *other* people get the
training. It's all well and good to be willing to show up to help
during a disaster, but untrained folks require a time investment on
the scene that slows recovery efforts. One more side note concerning
the EmComm courses: they're not only half price for ARRL members, the
federal government has given the ARRL grants that covered the first
level for many students under Homeland Security. I got my first *2*
levels paid for by those grants.

In the same vein, the ARRL also helps in the effort to make amateur
radio more available by operating a highly respected VEC. Again, the
more of us there are to give the exams the easier it is for people to
locate a convenient exam location and join the hobby.

Add their lobbying efforts to the mix and I'm satisfied that they're a
good value. Hell, your YL or OM can join as well for just a few
dollars more. That's what my spouse and I did.

Take another look at the ARRL. They have things to offer, you have to
avail yourself of them.

Carmen