Old August 1st 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default Searching for component Sources - help!

I'm looking for a source for capacitors. What I'm hoping to purchase is a nice variety of orange
drops at a reasonable price. Do anyone have a source (possibly individuals dealing in surplus)
that is reliable? I am aware of "Just Radios" up in Canada but they seem awfully expensive to me.
I'm an old timer and may have too much "price memory-overlay" from years gone by.

Mouser carries current-stock (by CDE) "orange drop" caps in two
different dielectric types (polyester and polypropylene). Digi-Key
also carries them.

Amplified Parts has a kit of orange drops (they aren't explicit about
the brand - might be worth checking with them to make sure they're
genuine CDE and not knockoffs). 600 volts, 6 each of 6 different
values of two dielectric types, $62. That's a good deal less than the
by-the-onesies prices at DigiKey and Mouser.

You might find some old-stock surplus sitting around - somebody's
drawer-cabinet of bench-top supplies - if you're lucky... hamfests,
surplus-store sales, and so forth. Most of my real bargain finds have
been of that sort.

On the open market I suspect you'll find that they aren't all that
much less expensive, surplus, than they are new. The "orange drop"
film caps seem to have a significant cult following (e.g. among Gibson
amplifier fans) and so supply-and-demand may be driving the price of
surplus up to near (or above, for "vintage") new-component prices.