Old August 6th 17, 08:18 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.models.engineering,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Gareth's Downstairs Computer Gareth's Downstairs Computer is offline

Default A mechanical phase locked loop!

On 06/08/2017 19:58, Chris wrote:
On 08/06/17 17:34, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:

It relates to the abysmal lack of technical acumen amongst those
who are today's would-br radio amateurs, most of whom are
really CBers-masquerading-as-radio-hams, identifiable by their
M3 and M6 callsigns past and present.

Perhaps you are right, but does that matter ?. Might not all have
the tech ability of the past, but just as keen on operating and
the social aspects of the hobby. We can't all be tech experts, but
there are still plenty of deep tech areas for those interested.

Seems a bit of an elitist attitude really, speaking as one who
built his first one valve set at 11 and always more interested
in the tech side than operating...

Elitism, yes, and something to be jealously guarded.

AIUI, there are already countries where only commercially
available rigs may be used, and by flooding this country
with technical numbskulls risks the powers-that-would-be
perceiving we all as operators only.

Amateur radio is primarily a technical pursuit with operation
being a trivially simple follow-on; so trivially simple, in fact,
that it is a nonsense to examine based upon operating. The 5-year-old
with her smartphone does not have to pass an exam on her operating
capability!

As to your last comment, Yes, more technician than operative,
I still maintain a logbook, with all test
and CQ calls logged, and yet after 47 years I'm only just half way
through my 2nd log book.