Old January 8th 04, 04:34 AM
Craig Buck

So, in Maxwell's words (paraphrased): the signal continues to reflect up
and down the line until it is all finally radiated or lost in the
transmission line. The mismatch at the antenna/line junction doesn't
matter. Most of the loss is in the transmission line and that can be
reduced by using ladder line.

Each reflection transfers what it can and the next one transfers the same
percentage. If 50% gets to the antenna the first time then 50% of 50% or
25% goes the second time and 50% of 25% or 12.5% goes the third time etc etc
until it eventually gets close to a total of 100% transfer. Now this sounds
like calculus and is starting to scare me.

Why doesn't the signal coming back down the line in the reflected portion
cancel out the signal going up the line? And if the up and down part is
out of phase ( as I suspect it would be) why isn't there some kind of
interference resulting in distortion or reduced signal strength?

"Richard Harrison" wrote in message
Gene Fuller, W4SZ wrote:
"The problem comes from the higher losses that occur in even the
"lossless" transmission line when operating at high voltages and
currents."

That`s right. Gene put quotes around "lossless".

The power output of the transmitter equals thaat taken by the load
inspite of hier indicated forward power. The difference is a power that
continues to circulate, much as baggage on an airport carrousel
continues to circulate until it is taken away.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI