Old August 19th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jimbo Jimbo is offline

Default Droning on ... vertical wire antennae

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 17/08/2017 23:24, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Gareth's Downstairs Computer
writes
Balloons and kites we've had, but what of drones to
hold the wire antenna aloft?

Ok, I hear you say about battery life, but taking
my cue from the Tesla / Edison wars, the AC / DC
arguments for transmitting power over long distances ...

''' what if the antenna were to be made from a bifilar
wire, bell flex or twin kevlar for lightness, with your
RF fed in parallel to both conductors, but superimposed
on the pair as separate wires, say, 20kV at 5kHz to
be transformed and "rectumfried" once it reaches the drone?

Then, you would not even need 2G4Hz control, it could be
superimposed of the HVAC.

Just an idea ...

I have already suggested 'aerial powering' in RSGBTech. Use twin wire
aerial, and feed DC power (via chokes) up it to the drone.

DC makes more sense, even with a balanced feed radiation is likely an
therefore a licence would be needed, even at 5kHz. You may well get an
NoV, they've been issued for such low frequencies before to my knowledge,
but not for drones etc.

I'm not sure how much lift these drones have, I suspect not a lot.

The idea does have its merits. With a bit of ingenuity, you could arrange
a 'station keeping' control using GPS and possible some sensors (body
rates and acceleration etc) to ensure the drone keeps the wire in place.

Try it on an Elephant first..........