Old December 24th 03, 12:22 AM

Tell us the frequency and we can offer some concrete advice. Also would be
good to tell us if it's just plain phone, code, digital, sideband; what are
you tryiig to listen to?

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:03:25 GMT, (Kevin Souter)
wrote:

I'm wanting to connect my PC to a radio to monitor one particular
frequency.

The instructions I've been given say to use a "scanner" but I'm
wondering if it maybe less expensive for me to go with a "receiver" set
to the proper frequency. Since I'm really only interested in the one
setting, I don't see why I'd need a scanner - unless the price of a
scanner is about the same as a receiver.

Now if a receiver will work for me, what kind should I be looking for
and how do I adjust it to get the frequency I want? I'm assuming I have
to install a specific crystal or something. But since I have no idea
what I'm doing, I may be way off base. I hope the people here who are
knowledeable can help me learn what I need to in order to do this.

The other issue that may be a factor: the instructions I'm following
talk about how scanners have a "discriminator" on the ear jack that is
where you make the connection to the PC. Would a standard receiver have
one too? Anyone have experince with connecting radios to PCs?

--
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.