Old August 24th 17, 07:00 PM posted to free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc
rickman rickman is offline

Default Campaign to upgrade Mike M6MGE to Full

Stephen Thomas Cole wrote on 8/24/2017 2:18 AM:
Following the news of Mike M6MGE's fantastic response to an emergency call
through GB3WR (watch at https://youtube.com/watch?v=gjHbLo40i5E) when
mobile phones had failed, all radio amateurs can be heartened by not only
the outcome of that action, the saving of a child's life, but also of the
immeasurable good this fantastic PR brings to our hobby.

Ian Jackson G3OHX suggested in uk.radio.amateur.moderated that Mike should
be immediately upgraded to Full in recognition of his service, and I
concur! Accordingly, I have begun the campaign for Mike to be upgraded;
https://twitter.com/ukradioamateur/s...41529931706370

May I request that we embrace this as a community and do all we can to
bring attention to it? Anybody can listen to the recording of Mike's
intervention and can see that he is clearly worthy of holding an M0.

Thanks, let's do this!

I can't say I understand. Would this be an honorary upgrade like a
university gives an honorary degree? A ham license is earned by achieving a
level of knowledge in the technology and bestows a license to use specific
frequencies and capabilities. What would be the point of upgrading this
person's license before they have shown the technical abilities to utilize
these added capabilities?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998