Old September 18th 17, 02:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson[_4_] Ian Jackson[_4_] is offline

Default QRZ FORUMS HAS RUINED THIS NEWSGROUP

In message , J.B. Wood
writes
On 09/15/2017 12:20 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:

Killfiles cannot deal with all the posts that never get posted
because the potential posters have been deterred from using the
newsgroup because of all the spam.

Hello, and is this just speculation

No.

or do you have evidence?

15 years experience of prowling the newsgroups (if that counts for
anything).

There's beaucoup activity on the sci.math ng along with tons of
unrelated stuff.

At least the "polite" posters precede the subject with "OT:".
Sincerely,

I doubt if there's a mathematical formula (!), but even in the most
active of NGs, when the SNR persistently falls too far, the signals
often suddenly disappear - and (presumably) their frustrated posters go
off looking for fresh pastures.

While I would prefer NGs to be unmoderated, it's sometimes the only
solution if subscribers want a NG to survive.

--
Ian