Old September 30th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default suppressor grid modulation?

So, if I adjust the voltage on the suppressor grid of a pentode I can alter
the gain of the tube substantially, but in the process I now am moving most
of the current from the plate to the screen grid.

Are there any tubes out there with a sufficiently heavy screen grid that
this could be done with? I can always reduce the total current to prevent
screen grid damage but then linearity suffers.

Do any small signal pentodes out there exist with heavy ruggedized screen
grids?
--scott