Old October 2nd 17, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default low transmit power, 6 meters, Diamond V2000A

In article ,
wrote:

Installed a new Diamond V2000A antenna. Have a Yaesu FT8900R transceiver.
Checkout showed 58 watts on 70 cm and 2 meters. However on 6 meters power is
only 4 watts. SWR is 1.2 or less on all three bands. Antenna is fed with 65'
of LMR 400 cable.

Can this be a problem with the antenna or do I have a radio problem?

It sounds like you have a radio problem. You can eliminate that as a
cause by checking power into a dummy load.

I'm not familiar with that rig, but wonder if it might accidentally have
been put into a low power mode on 6? I would expect a rig with 60 Watts
on FM or CW to have a 15 Watt carrier on AM, but that might need
adjusting.

I wonder what would happen if you used a 400 MHz wattmeter element on 50
MHz?

Fred
K4DII