Old January 3rd 04, 12:01 AM
Thomas C. Sefranek

IMHO, (Not so humble...)
Save your pennies and wait to buy an IC-706...
It has what you want AND what you need.

"Daniel J. Morlan" wrote in message
m...
I'm looking for a good transciever. I've got about $400.00 to start
one, and I want to start out with a 50W mobile. (I'm stunningly green
in this area, as I did not even specify the correct antenna type to
the type of transmitting I was wanting to do.)

1.) I'm assuming I'd still need to use repeaters for long-distance
transmissions.

2.) Can anyone approximate the kind of range one can get with 50W?

3.) I've got my eye on the Yaesu FT-8800R. Does anyone thing this is
too much/too little?

All I really want to do to get my feet wet is try and make contacts,
do some rag chewing, and perhaps play with data. I will need to use
this as a "set-up-and-use, fold-up-and-put-away" station for the time
being. (In the interest of preserving components, and keeping out of
everyone's way. small house

I apologize if my ignorance has anyone laughing, but we're all in ham
for what we want to do, right? :-)

73

DJM

P.S. I'll be passing my test next thursday.

Let us know.

--
*
| __O Thomas C. Sefranek
|_-\,_ Amateur Radio Operator: WA1RHP
(*)/ (*) Bicycle mobile on 145.41, 448.625 MHz

http://hamradio.cmcorp.com/inventory/Inventory.html
http://www.harvardrepeater.org