Old October 3rd 17, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin is offline

Default [KB6NU] Need a program for your club meeting? Heres what other clubs are doing.

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Need a program for your club meeting? Heres what other clubs are doing.

One of the cool things about writing a monthly column for amateur radio
club newsletters is that the clubs put me on their mailing lists, and I get
to see all of the cool meetings and activities they have. Here are some the
recent programs that I found interesting. Maybe theyll give you some ideas
for your club meeting presentations.

The October 9, 2017 meeting of the Fond du Lac (WI) Amateur Radio Club will
feature Marty Karjala, Research Site Supervisor for HAARP, the High
Frequency Active Auroral Research Program (HAARP) located in Alaska. (Marty
will be speaking via Skype.) HAARP is an ionospheric research program
jointly funded by the U.S. Air Force, the U.S. Navy, the University of
Alaska Fairbanks, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Its
purpose is to analyze the ionosphere and investigate the potential for
developing ionospheric enhancement technology for radio communications and
surveillance.
The guest speaker at the Riverland Amateur Radio Clubs October meeting was
Keith Butler, LaCrosse County Emergency Coordinator. He discussed
ARES/RACES and emergency communications as related to Amateur Radio. ARRL
section officials are often ready and willing to speak to clubs. I know
that I spoke at many clubs when I was the Affiliated Club Coordinator here
in Michigan.
Many clubs have picnics over the summer in place of a regular club meeting.
Keep that in mind as a club activity next summer.
Loop antennas! Several clubs have recently had presentations on small,
magnetic loop antennas. These are becoming very popular as they are small
and easy to set up for portable operations. Of course, youll need someone
whos either built one or bought one to give the presentation.

The post Need a program for your club meeting? Heres what other clubs are
doing. appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.