Old January 3rd 04, 02:08 AM
Radioman

Save your pennies and wait to buy an IC-706...
It has what you want AND what you need.

The 706 has ZERO intermod rejection. the IC-2100 works under
the big tall tower in my front yard. This same tower blanks
a friend's 706 from 3 exits away. My HTX-242 dies about an
exit away from home. I have only a crackle in a few freqs
with my 2100.

If you are out in the country, a 706 is a good mobile radio,
just don't expect it to reject pagers on 2 meters.

BTW, an IC-706MKIIG starts at $760. An IC-2100H is $150.
You will find antenna height, then gain, followed by power
to be the most important factors. Half a watt 100 feet up
will contact more then 100 watts half a foot up. VHF & UHF
are basically line of site regardless of mode.