Old November 16th 17, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
rickman rickman is offline

Default Resolving AM and FM if a very narrow Xtal filter

Ian Jackson wrote on 2/2/2014 3:46 PM:
On 5/27/2015 7:29 AM, gareth wrote:
I wonder if anyone here has experience of milling PCBs using
CNC rather than etching them, and if so, what pitfalls and pratfalls
were encountered?

Years ago a place I worked had one of the machines that cost a few
thousand. It wasn't great as they hadn't provided a good base so the board
could be inserted multiple times with the same registration or easily
flipped for double sided. The bits were conical rather than flat tipped and
tended to break easily. In the end the company went belly up and we were
stuck with proprietary software that was no longer maintained. The only
people who really used it much were the RF guys...

Yeah, a place I worked had one of these, likely the same company as theirs
went belly up too. RF guys use double sided often if not always. Digital
stuff often needs more layers.

The island breadboard approach is even more limited being effectively single
sided and entirely unsuitable for any type of high density packages. So
again, mostly used for RF type of designs.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998