Old November 18th 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] allisellis851@gmail.com is offline

Default Larry...

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 10:10:35 AM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 07:17:06 -0800, allisellis851 wrote:

Supreme 547 Multimeter. The wood case/box is heavily scratched up, the
meter doesn't work, I will keep it though.Even when my Supreme device
was new it was probaly no better than similar devices regardless of
where it was made.

I don't have first hand knowledge of the quality of Supreme test
equipment but I read Alan Douglas' book and he said Supreme also made
stuff for the phone companies and phone companies were interested in
quality more than low price.

It's not that Supreme equipment had the quality of mil-spec or lab
equipment but I have the impression it was a cut above the usual TV-radio
stuff like Superior.

Back when I was a kid, I saw a Supreme RF signal generator in a junk
shop. I wanted it!! Didn't have the cash, even though it was probably
pretty cheap. Of course, it was gone once I could afford it.

I think at least half of the 1940s era test equipment was made in the New
York City area. Most of the rest was made in various Midwestern
locations.

Of course, there's still plenty of stuff for the radio hobbyist being
made in Mississippi:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/

That was a real Good Saturday morning movie matinee I watched this morning, This Island Earth. Faith Domergue was a real Hottie too, she was born in N'Awlins, according to www.imdb.com
Supreme also made meters for the World War Two effort. US Military does insist on Quality. A US Troop guy in Vietnam failed to lock the Jeep ( www.tsna.org ) he was driving with a chain and padlock. The Military charged him $2,400 for that 'Quality' Jeep.The Jeeps we had in the 114th Aviation Company, at least the one I had occasion to drive infrequently, didn't have a key ignition switch. Instead there was a little lever on the ignition switch unit. Just flip that cute little lever and the Jeep started right up. Combat trucks had the same style of ignition switch units too. Troops can't keep up with keys.