Old January 23rd 04, 05:33 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Mike" wrote:
(snip) Yet, I still would like to
know where the idea came from
about grandfathering techs with
no test.

I think you meant to say no "additional" written test, Mike. I suspect the
idea comes from the fact that the current Technician license already allows
HF access with the simple addition of the code test. In other words, the
current Technician license exam already covers much of the material needed
for HF access. Therefore, it makes more sense to grandfather them into a
license class with HF access than into one without. Of course, that's just
my take on it. If you really want to know why ARRL decided to do so, ask
them.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/