Old January 24th 04, 03:10 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"So Phuk'em" wrote in message
news:7HmQb.133575$I06.1201849@attbi_s01...

All you old timers & O.M.'s, cancel your memberships! The ARRL board of
directors and section managers are intent on destroying your enjoyment of
the hobby and also in destroying the effectiveness of the service in times
of national emergency. I'm sick at how the bands have become sounding like
CB over the last 17 years, and the League is still intent on making things
worse. So Phuk'em

I don't normally respond to anonymous trolls, but I feel compelled to
counter
your statements above.

IF you feel that the ARRL "is intent on destroying (your) enjoyment of the
hobby," you must get your enjoyment purely from a self-delusional sense of
superiority.

I've been licensed for well over 25 years. The ham bands have *not*
"become sounding like CB over the last 17 years" - there have always
been a few bad apples - MANY of them OTs who passed the 20 wpm
Morse test and believe they are some sort of gods.

Yes, new hams may make some operating errors and they may need
a little coaching and immersion in the "culture" of ham radio to get to
the point where they sound experienced. We ALL made such mistakes
when we first got on the air - learning by doing is the best way to learn.

So get off your high horse ...

I was unhappy with the ARRL's policy on Morse testing for a long time,
and I'm still not happy with the aspect of their new proposal that would
keep Morse testing for Extra. (Though I have nothing to gain personally,
since I'm already an Extra.)

HOWEVER, the ARRL does SO much good for ham radio that I finally
decided to take out a life membership - BEFORE their proposal came
out (not knowing what position they'd take on the code test).

If all the OT's bail out on the ARRL over this, they will be cutting off
their noses to spite their face.

I encourage everyone to maintain their ARRL membership. And, I
encourage those who aren't members to join. The best way to influence
the ARRL in a progressive direction is from the inside - join, then talk to
your ARRL Director, make your views known, and let him/her know that
your vote in the next ARRL Director election in your division depends on
their performance.

73,
Carl - wk3c