Old December 23rd 17, 03:33 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering
rickman rickman is offline

Default Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)

On 2017-12-22, Charles Richmond wrote:

On 12/22/2017 2:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:25:11 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

[snip]

As a child, I had relatives who lived within 6 or 7 miles of us and
their dialect was quite different. Relatives of a similar age who lived
closer didn't show the same differences. At times it really was a bit of
an issue.

I had a high school teacher who said that her Italian husband's
home village had a similar thing: the dialect of the people across the
river was quite different.

Back in the bad old days, two houses on different sides of the same
freeway... a phone call from one house to the other... was a
long-distant toll call !!! That is sort of analogous to speaking
dialects !!! :-)

I heard about a hotel in California that straddled area code
boundaries - it was long distance to call from one end of the
building to the other.

I haven't heard that, but it's almost assuredly an urban legend. The phone
company is not going to create two separate accounts and run lines from two
different offices to the same building.

The town of Lloydminster sits right on the Alberta/Saskatchewan
border. There's some interesting billing there.

Is there? Phone companies don't always follow political boundaries (neither
does the U.S. Postal Service).

I met a kid in college who had a hard time at the state university. He
lived in the state, but the post office gave them a delivery address from a
post office in a different state. I think it was finally resolved, but they
had to bring the deed and other documents. I would think a state drivers
license with his mailing address would be enough proof of the state he lived
in. The DMV isn't going to give you a license if you are out of state.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998