Old December 23rd 17, 08:51 PM posted to alt.folklore.computers,uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.rec.models.engineering
Peter Flass Peter Flass is offline

Default Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)

Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 15:39:08 -0600, Charles Richmond
wrote:

[snip]

Back in the bad old days, two houses on different sides of the same
freeway... a phone call from one house to the other... was a
long-distant toll call !!! That is sort of analogous to speaking
dialects !!! :-)

I always thought that that nonsense could have been solved by
using a better zone system. A call to the same zone or only one zone
away would be local; the others would be long distance. Set the zones
to allow for cities and geography.

In the 1980's I knew 2 brothers that lived next to each other. The
houses were seperated by a small field maybe 100 yards wide. They were
long distance from each other by the phone companies. Each one had a
different phone company.

Where I am at now I can not get ATT as its service starts about 1/4 of a
mile or less from me. I am on another phone company, or was before I
switched over to the internet phone. That was a very good thing for me.
I get free long distance, but best of all they block most robot calls.
The phone rings once and quits. The number is on the caller ID box and
if it really is something I want, I can dial them back. Also it is easy
to go on the internet and tell the phone company I want to block a
number. I don't do it, but a friend does, you can have the home phone
number send it to your cell phone after a few rings.

Our electric is like this. Most of our development is National Grid and our
street and one other are NYSEG. Some times this is good, but sometimes
we're out and the other streets aren't.

--
Pete