Old December 24th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)

In article , says...

230 what? 230 Mbps would be insanely fast and 230 kbps is insanely slow. I
have around 7 Mbps peak and I'm happy with that. I can watch movies all day
long and do anything I need. It's been a while since I've tried to download
the GB of so it takes for the latest copy of FPGA development tools.

I just checked at
http://www.speedtest.net/ and it is 236 Mbps down and
11.9 Mbps up.

That is just the starting speed here. It is in and around a small town
in North Carolina. About a year ago it was 25 Mbps downlink for the
basic rate. Now they are advertising 100 Mbps as the starting speed on
the web site,but a television commercial was stating 200 Mbps as the
basic speed for a larger town about 20 miles away.

I think much of the speed hold up now is not on this end, but how fast
the sites on the internet can get their data uploaded to the internet.

I don't download that many large files, but downloaded a copy of
Microsoft Office 16 or 2016 or something like that to a laptop that was
connected wireless at my house at 65 Mbps. Took almost no time. I
remember trying to use the phone modems at 14.4K baud or whatever and
downloading just a 1 or 2 megabit file and it taking around an hour.