Old January 9th 18, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
N6PSE via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin N6PSE via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin is offline

Default [N6PSE] Tribute to David Collingham - K3LP

N6PSE's Blog

Tribute to David Collingham - K3LP

https://n6pse.wordpress.com/2018/01/...llingham-k3lp/

David operates from South Sandwich Island as VP8STI in 2016.

I first met David at the Dayton Hamvention in 2006. He was talking about
the virtues of ICOM radios in the ICOM booth. I introduced myself to him
and I knew that he was a famous DXpeditioner. We started a long
conversation and a friendship at that moment. That conversation and
friendship endured until his death on January 5th.

I asked David how one becomes a DXpeditioner. I told David about my desire
to activate Iraq. David said “Let’s do it!” He became my Dxpedition teacher
and mentor. He is the reason that I have become successful in planning,
organizing and leading DXpeditions. I always had David at my back. David
always did what he could to ensure success and great results. Our
partnership was strong and our skills complemented each other.

In the following years, David became my closest friend. He was like a
brother to me. We shared all of our hopes, dreams and thoughts. We rarely
disagreed but when we did those disagreements were filled with passion.
David was not a wimp, far from it. He was bold, courageous and generous of
his time, friendship and anything else. He was the kind of man that would
give you the shirt off his back or his last dime.

Things or objects didn’t matter to David. People and their feelings
mattered. He made everyone feel important. He kept in touch and reached out
to everyone. David’s other passions included his family, his successful
business, and his mentoring and Youth Development work. He loved
volunteering at the Dorothy Grant Elementary School in Fontana, CA.

David loved the kids at Dorothy Grant Elementary School-K6DGE.com

As I said, things didn’t matter to David. I was with him when he won an
ICOM radio as a raffle prize. He immediately handed it to a friend who
needed a radio and gave it away to him.

David was a take charge kind of guy. He readily got involved in projects
that were important to him. If he had been in the military, he would have
been a General. If he had been in the Police or Fire service he would have
been a Chief.

In 2009, David and I planned to conduct an amateur radio Dxpedition
together. I told him about my plans for Iraq in 2010 and he agreed to join
me in planning this adventure. David loved adventures and this was the
start of many adventures together which would later include, South Sudan,
Rotuma, Fiji, Ethiopia, Yemen, Serbia, Kosovo, Mt. Athos, Macedonia,
Greece, Albania, Montenegro and Antarctica. We had big plans for the future!

David mentoring the kids in Rotuma and Ethiopia.

David loved planning the Dxpedition antennas and their layout along with
all of the other various Dxpedition components. He loved getting on 40
meters SSB and saying hello to all of his friends back home. He was a “good
CW man” and made thousands of amateurs happy with the various contacts that
he made. It was an honor for me to nominate him into the CQ DX Hall of Fame
in 2014. David was very touched by this honor. It meant a lot to him. It
was also an honor to share the 2016 Dxpedition of the Year Award with him
for our VP8STI/VP8SGI DXpeditions.

David loved to joke around and play pranks. He was always joking and light
hearted. On our voyage aboard the Braveheart, David enjoyed the singing and
merriment.

David was the life of the party during our Braveheart voyage in the
Southern Ocean.

David shared my vision for the Intrepid-DX Group and he most recently
served as our President. He felt strongly that we should recognize the
contributions of others and he enjoyed this activity very much. He was
always “giving back” in one way or another.

David holds the 2016 DXpedition of the Year Award for our VP8STI/VP8SGI
DXpeditions. He was very proud of that accomplishment.

David spoke often of Mr. Louis Malory who had been very influential in
David’s life as a teacher. He also shared the story of how a complete
stranger gave him the money to continue with his college tuition when he
couldn’t make his payment. This gesture forever moved David to give back to
others.

David was always helping his blind friend Hughie-WB6CBU. David accompanied
him whether at the DX Convention in Visalia or at the Dayton Hamvention.
David always made sure that Hughie was included in the activities.

David is inducted into the CQ DX Hall of Fame in May 2014.*

David loved his wife Rebecca. And he was so proud of his sons. He enjoyed
seeing Ryan’s success on the football field and the basketball court. He
adored his daughter Amanda and proudly shared her piano recital videos for
all to enjoy. He loved visiting their beloved Deep Creek Lake or their
vacation home in Orlando.

Today as I write this, we are all sad and in shock. David’s passing leaves
a tremendous void in our hearts and minds.

I loved this man like my brother. We shared so many special times together.
He was so much fun! So full of life! Always pranks being played.

I am really going to miss him. He was always calling me and checking to see
how I was doing. He really cared about others. He always ended our frequent
phone conversations with “I love you brother”.

David Collingham lived his life bold, courageous and heroically and he died
trying to save his beloved dog Cooper. He will always be a hero in our
hearts.

He was really special. I dont know anyone else like him.

This YouTube video really captures Davids essence of who he was:

Rest in Peace dear friend,

Paul N6PSE