Old January 22nd 18, 11:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
George Cornelius George Cornelius is offline

Default ego alert - revisited

In article , Joe from Kokomo writes:

Joe from Kokomo wrote:
From yahoo news...

???Actually??? he [trumpo] continued, ???throughout my life, my two greatest
assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart???.???

Not only is the president a genius, according to him, but ???a very stable
genius at that.???

On 1/9/2018 8:02 AM, wrote:

Unlike the respectable information sources, you chose to selectively edit
the message so that you seem to have stronger evidence for your claim than
is actually present.

I respectfully submit that I did not edit anything. I just *directly*
quoted yahoo news. Furthermore, I have seen the tapes of trumpo saying
exactly what he was quoted by yahoo as saying -- so not sure where your
"edited" claim is coming from.

OK, you just copied anything that agreed with your biases. Now let's see
what an authoritative news source says:

"Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental
stability and being, like, really smart," he added. He said he was a
"VERY successful businessman" and television star who won the presidency
on his first try. "I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius....
and a very stable genius at that!"

The above is from the New York Times, hardly a bastion of conservative
reporting. I had read it from a borrowed copy of the newspaper as I
was eating lunch at my neighborhood convenience store.

Nothing special about the segway into calling himself a genius,
but it was a bit of indirection - nuance if you will - in that
he provided a syllogism: premise, premise, conclusion, where
the conclusion began "I think that would qualify me as...".

Hard to argue with it. Anyone who makes a billion dollars qualifies
as having a genius for something.

Winning the presidency the way he did - something unprecedented
as well.

George

[Above _significantly_ delayed due to problems accessing aioe.org
back when we were having our discussion. Improved by changing from
my recollection of what I had read to grabbing the original NY Times
text.]